With LastPass, passwords are secured, stored and ready for use. You only need to remember one password, the one for LastPass, once you have them all entered. Let’s take a look at how to use LastPass and how to make sure your passwords are stored correctly.
How to Secure Existing Passwords Manually
- Access the LastPass vault.
- Select the Add Site icon in the bottom right-hand corner
- In the Add Password window, input the URL of the site, followed by the name of the site and then your username and password.
- Select a folder for the password — for example, social media or banking.
- You can also add any notes you wish to add to this password entry.
- Hit Save.
- Repeat for each account you wish to add.
How to Secure New Passwords Automatically
In Your Browser
- Head to LastPass.com and download the browser extension.
- In your browser, you will now see the LastPass button in your toolbar. You can select this to log in to LastPass whenever you need.
- Every time you make a new account on this browser, you will be prompted to store the new login credential in LastPass.
On Your Device Automatically
- Head to the app store for your device.
- Download the LastPass app.
- When prompted, give LastPass permission to access your passwords.
- Check your AutoFill settings. Go to your phone settings and find your Password settings. For iPhone it is called “Passwords” in your phone Settings. Then select “AutoFill Passwords” and make sure LastPass is checked.
- Whenever you make a new account on this device, you will be prompted to save this to LastPass.
Once passwords are saved, they will autofill whenever you log into an account. Just make sure you are using a browser with the extension enabled or a device with the LastPass app installed. You can manage all passwords and folders from the vault when you log in to your LastPass account and share passwords with anyone who might need them.
Always make a new, unique password for every new account. LastPass will even auto-generate passwords for you if you’d like. You won’t need to worry about remembering it — thanks to LastPass — and it will be extra secure.
Find Out More About Organizing and Securing Your Passwords
Reach out to our team to discover more about organizing your passwords or take one of our courses for even more insight.