Paperless Chaos: The Advantages of Digital Organization (and How to Get There!)
What are the advantages of virtual organizing and getting your digital files in order? And, more importantly, how do you get there? Let’s take a look.
The Advantages of Digital Organization
Being a proactive digital organizer offers a wealth of different benefits:
- You’ll be able to find everything easily when you need it.
- You’ll be more productive.
- You’ll be less stressed.
- You’ll save money by eliminating the cost of lost documents.
- Things will stop slipping through the cracks.
Understanding How to Get There
But how do you get there? Here are our tips:
- Set your file naming system and stick to it. Always choose the same format for file organization. For example, if you decide to name your files with the date first, always do so. This will make it easier to find what you need.
- Structure your virtual organizing efforts. Make folders that contain work files, and make folders that contain personal files. Then, create sub-folders that reflect the types of files you create or download. Stick to this system!
- File as you go. It’s so, so, so much easier to file as you go rather than having to do it after the event. Get into the habit of filing on the fly, and you’ll thank yourself later.
- Be ruthless with deletion. You probably have many files you don’t need to keep and will never look at again. Be ruthless, especially with duplicates!
- Choose secure filing for your most important items. Password-protect folders with sensitive files. Just remember to keep hold of your passwords.
- Remember to back up. Always back your files up into a cloud-based recovery system. You might not want to do this with all your files, but the most critical ones must be backed up.
Learn More About Digital Organization
Reach out to our team to discover more about getting your file organization in order.
Leave a Comment